AUSTIN, TX--(Marketwire - Oct 3, 2012) - Zenoss, a leading provider of unified IT operations software for physical, virtual, and cloud-based IT infrastructure, today announced the results of a comprehensive open source cloud survey and an accompanying info-graphic titled, "The State of The Open Source Cloud." Zenoss polled its more than 100,000 community members to determine the prevailing sentiments concerning open source cloud deployments, the perceived advantages and disadvantages of this technology as well as to gain insight into future open cloud deployments within IT departments. Survey respondents included more than 600 IT professionals including system administrators and architects, developers, network engineers and CIOs.
"There has been a flurry of activity surrounding the state and adoption of open source cloud deployments," said Floyd Strimling, VP of Community and Technical Evangelist at Zenoss. "While much of the open cloud excitement has been centered on the newly launched OpenStack Foundation, the vast majority of our survey respondents have not yet deployed a solution. The survey indicates there is a three horse race between OpenStack, CloudStack, and Eucalyptus with many challenges needing to be solved before full open source cloud adoption will take place."
The survey findings reveal a pending wave of open source cloud adoption, despite the current pervasive sense that open source cloud is simply not yet ready. Additional highlights include:
Maturity Hampers the Deployment of Open Clouds
- 82.9% of respondents said they are not using an open cloud.
- Maturity (38.5%), lack of support (30.7%), and security (28.9%) were most commonly selected as reasons why respondents are not using an open source cloud.
OpenStack Dominates Adoption Plans but CloudStack and Eucalyptus in the Hunt
- Of those considering deploying an open cloud 62.8% are looking at OpenStack, 46.8% are looking at CloudStack, and 23.8% are looking at Eucalyptus.
Open Cloud's Future is Bright
- 56.9% of respondents said they are thinking of deploying an open source cloud in the future, 41.6% of these expect to do so in 1 - 2 years.
- The top 3 aspects of an open source cloud solution deemed most important by respondents include efficiency & performance of virtualization technology (75.4%), project's use of a preferred open source license (52.1%), and quality of community ecosystem (64.2%).
About Zenoss Inc.
Zenoss is a leading provider of management software for physical, virtual, and cloud-based IT infrastructures. Over 35,000 organizations worldwide have deployed Zenoss to manage their networks, servers, virtual devices, storage, and cloud infrastructure, gaining complete visibility and predictability into their IT operations. Customers include Rackspace, VMware, Hosting.com, LinkedIn, Motorola and SunGard.