SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwire - Jul 21, 2011) - According to Tagged, the leading social network for meeting new people, and their study of the social habits of millions of Americans, North Dakota has distinguished itself as the nation's most social state. In a related finding the proud state of New Jersey just beat out Ohio as the flirtiest state.
In the June 2011 study of the social and flirty characteristics of over 2 million Americans, Tagged found that New Jersey residents sent a whopping average of almost 94 online virtual winks per month, while the average North Dakotan demonstrated their social nature by requesting a staggering 1,956 new friend connections. In other findings North Dakota additionally claimed the most friendly or social men, while sunshine-basked Arizona boasts the most social women.
There's no denying it, by the tens of millions, people around the country and world are embracing online social networks at a quickening pace both for keeping in touch with people they know and also to meet new people. Whether it's for dating and flirting, or just to meet others with similar interests, they are demonstrating a great appetite to meet and socialize with new people online at Tagged.com.
The Top 10 Most Social states:
1. North Dakota
2. New Jersey
3. Washington DC
5. North Carolina
10. New York
The Top 10 Flirtiest states:
1. New Jersey
4. New York
9. Rhode Island
"Reaching out to new people to flirt, play or to share interests, is a key aspect of our social selves," said Greg Tseng, Tagged CEO. "While North Dakotans will fully embrace their 'most social state' recognition, a few in New Jersey may not feel honored by their distinction. That said, we see a state's flirt quotient as a key indicator of the region's social nature, and something to be proud of too. It's also a potentially great ice breaker during a next flirting opportunity for those in the Garden State."
Tagged researchers suggest why North Dakota and New Jersey win out as the Nation's most social and flirtiest states:
- While North Dakota is the 19th-largest state by area, it is also the third least populous. Thus far-flung residents are naturally in search of new connections with neighbors and those far beyond.
- A state known for both friendly residents and inclement weather, North Dakotans also rely heavily on community institutions which ever help expand their social networks. The state claims the most churches per capita of any state.
- New Jersey residents represent an extremely social hybrid of urban and suburban populace who among Tagged's 100 million members are looking for ways to meet new people, not just maintain their existing networks, as Facebook is designed to do.
- New Jersey's pop culture reputation for unabashed opinions and extraverted residents may be more than a myth and translate into higher average flirting numbers.
- The New England region in general ruled the flirtation findings, suggesting the close concentration of urban hubs made for a more flirtatious environment.
Tagged is the leading social network for meeting new people. While other offerings focus on existing relationships, Tagged has established the category of social discovery. With over 100 million members in 220 countries Tagged enables anyone to meet and socialize with new people through social games, customized profiles, virtual gifts, advanced browsing features and more. Tagged is based in San Francisco. More information is available at http://about-tagged.com/.