CHICAGO, IL--(Marketwire - Jul 16, 2012) - With nearly 19 people falling victim to identity theft every minute*, more and more consumers are looking for a solution to help them monitor their identity. With the launch today of TransUnion Total, consumers can now receive a more comprehensive identity theft protection solution that provides them with extended identity theft protection services, in addition to credit monitoring.
A new JZ Analytics survey commissioned by TransUnion revealed that more than three quarters (76 percent) of Americans surveyed said their fear of becoming a victim of identity theft has increased or stayed the same in the last five years. According to the Federal Trade Commission, there are nearly 10 million cases of identity theft each year, but the good news is most cases can be mitigated or resolved if they are caught early.
"Identity theft continues to be a growing concern for many Americans. As these criminals get more sophisticated, so must the tools. This is the reason behind TransUnion Total, providing our members more comprehensive tools and reports to help spot the signs of possible identity theft -- and services to help reclaim their identity," says Heather Battison, TransUnion's senior director responsible for consumer education.
In addition to monitoring credit files for credit score changes and other activities, TransUnion Total provides extended identity theft protection services, giving members a more comprehensive solution. TransUnion Total offers members:
- Unlimited Credit Monitoring and Access to Credit Score: 24/7 credit reporting monitoring and alerts of any critical updates such as inquiries, delinquent accounts and more as well as unlimited access to their credit information and score -- which can be updated several times a month.
- Credit Score Tracker: The ability to track their credit score changes over time, along with educational insights into what events/timing may have caused the change.
- Internet Watch: Constant Internet monitoring of a member's personal information, promptly notifying the member if there is any evidence of their information being traded or sold online.
- Identity Restoration: Access to a personal Case Manager, working with a member throughout the process to help them restore their identity.
- Lost Wallet: Assistance from a dedicated specialist to help members cancel, replace or reissue wallet documents such as credit cards, ID cards and more.
- Non-Credit Loans: Monitoring of a member's information being used for non-traditional loans, such as check-cashing and other short-term loans where credit checks may not be required or appear on a credit report.
- Neighborhood Monitoring: Cross-checking states' sex offender registries and providing reports and alerts to members based on the zip code in their account profile.
- Court Records: Monitoring and reporting on information that matches a member's name and date of birth from county and state courts, the Department of Corrections, the Administration of the Courts and other legal agencies on offenses such as felonies, misdemeanors, sexual offenses, traffic citations.
- Identity Theft Insurance: Providing coverage of expenses up to $25,000 if a member's identity is compromised (conditions and exclusions may apply) for increased peace of mind.
With TransUnion Total, it is easy to get started and only takes a few minutes. Visit www.TransUnion.com to try it out for free.
* Source: Federal Trade Commission
JZ Analytics was commissioned by TransUnion to conduct an online survey of [1218 US adults] on 6/25/12-6/27/12. Using trusted interactive partner resources, thousands of adults were invited to participate in this interactive survey. Each invitation is password coded and secure so that one respondent can only access the survey one time. Using information based on census data, CIA fact books and exit polls, we use complex weighting techniques to best represent the demographics of the population being surveyed. Weighted variables may include age, race, gender, region, party, education, and religion. Based on a confidence interval of 95%, the margin of error for 1218 is +/- 2.9 percentage points.
TransUnion Interactive, Inc. is a consumer subsidiary of TransUnion. As a global leader in credit and information management, TransUnion creates advantages for millions of people around the world by gathering, analyzing and delivering information. For businesses, TransUnion helps improve efficiency, manage risk, reduce costs and increase revenue by delivering comprehensive data and advanced analytics and decisioning. For consumers, TransUnion provides the tools, resources and education to help manage their credit health and achieve their financial goals. Through these and other efforts, TransUnion is working to build stronger economies worldwide. Founded in 1968 and headquartered in Chicago, TransUnion employs associates in more than 32 countries on five continents. www.transunion.com Follow us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/TransUnion.