SOURCE: Tower General Contractors
LOS ANGELES, CA--(Marketwire - Jan 3, 2013) - Tower General Contractors celebrated the "topping off" of the Construction Laborer's Local 300 headquarters today, marking the completion of vertical construction. Located at 2005 W. Pico Boulevard at Westlake Boulevard in Los Angeles, the new $24 million, 82,000 square foot headquarters for the Union will be two stories high and will include two levels of underground parking.
The building will seek Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification, the rating system of the United States Green Building Council (USGBC). Some of the building's "green" design elements will include:
- A storm drainage system that will filter and detail storm water runoff.
- Exterior lighting that will meet light pollution guidelines.
- Optimized energy performance through the building envelope and HVAC systems that will reduce energy costs by at least 60 percent.
- At least 75 percent of construction materials, demolition waste and land clearing debris will be recycled.
- Salvaged or refurbished materials will be used in the building.
- At least half of the building materials will be manufactured within 500 miles of the building.
- Building design will maximize day lighting and view opportunities.
"The topping out marks another significant milestone for Laborer 300's new home," said Nato Flores, President of Tower General Contractors. "We look forward to completing the building in the fourth quarter of 2013, which will fulfill the growing needs of the Union and, as a green building, will benefit the health of its occupants and the community at large. As a member of the USGBC, Tower is committed to the design and construction of sustainable green building practices."
Founded in 1903, the Laborer International Union of North America represents more than 800,000 construction workers in 650 Locals in 50 different industries in the US and Canada.
About Tower General Contractors
Based in Los Angeles, California and founded in 1985, Tower General Contractors (TGC) is the largest minority-owned General Contractor Company in the county of Los Angeles and one of the leading construction firms in California. TGC has a distinguished reputation in construction for key industries including: healthcare, education, entertainment, retail, industrial and defense. Some of the firm's notable projects include: The LAX Theme Building, The Columbia Memorial Space Science Learning Center, The UCLA Astronomy Center, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Emergency Department, the Providence Saint Joseph Medical Center Neo Natal Intensive Care Unit, the American Red Cross Los Angeles Office and The Beverly Hills City Hall remodel. The company provides services in three key areas: pre-construction, general contracting and design/build. For more information, visit the company's website at www.towergeneralcontractors.com.