LEEDS, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - Oct. 20, 2012) - Figures show that a staggering 55% of pet owners have a household dog . Cats came in at a close second and 52% of the nation own cats*.
As pups prove to be more popular, Asda Finance reveals some of the top puppy names and their meanings for 2012**.
Alfie, which is short for Alfred, is the most popular male puppy name of 2012. The meaning behind the name is counsellor***.
It refers to Alfred the Great who was a 9th century King and scholar. He translated a number of Latin books to Old English and his name continued to be used even after a number of Old English names were wiped out.
Charlie is another popular male dog name, taking the second spot on the list. Charlie derives from Charles or Charlotte if female. The name was not common in the UK until the 17th century when Charles I ruled. Over the centuries a number of famous individuals who carry the name have emerged such as Charles Dickens, Charles Darwin and Prince Charles.
Molly also made it to the list of popular puppy names and originates from the name Mary. Mary is a very traditional name that dates back to the New Testament; however, even now in some cultures the name is considered too holy to use. There are a number of meanings behind the name such as beloved, love or rebelliousness. The name meaning has not been defined according to one source.***
Poppy which takes fifth place, is typically an English name that means red flower such, as the poppy flowers.
Other popular names in the Asda Finance top ten most popular dog names list includes Maz, Bailey and Ruby.
Most Popular Dog Names
Notes for editors
* Asda Insurance Research (Nov 2011) 55.23% dog owners, 52.66% cat owners 9.66% other pet owners
** The Pet Name Analysis Report, by the Callcredit Information Group for Asda Finance.
*** Name meaning sources from http://www.behindthename.com
**** Name meaning sources from http://www.behindthename.com
Asda Finance offers comprehensive pet insurance or even more specifically dog or cat insurance.
About Asda Pet Insurance
- Cat cover from £4.05* per month and dog cover from £7.95* per month
- Choose from 3 levels of pet insurance cover - Value, Standard and Superior
- Pay monthly at no extra cost†
- Up to 10% online discount
- Pays up to £6,000 towards your vet's bills for accident or illness with Superior cover pet insurance#
- Up to 20% online discount when insuring 2 or more pets ~
- Caring bereavement counselling service
Asda Financial Services and Asda Stores Limited are introducer appointed representatives of BDML Connect Limited who arrange and administer the policy. This insurance is underwritten by QBE Insurance (Europe) No 1761561. Both BDML Connect Ltd and QBE Insurance (Europe) are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
* 10% of customers who purchased Asda Value Pet Insurance between 1st September and 31st December 2011 would have paid this price or less. Prices include IPT, reflect June 2011 premium rates and may include online and/or multi-pet discounts.
~ 20% discount for insuring 2 or more pets consists of 10% online discount and up to 10% multi pet discount.
† 0% APR. Available to those aged 18 and over.
# Up to the sum insured. For continuous treatment payments must be up-to-date and your policy renewed. Superior cover only.