LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - Aug. 29, 2012) - Health and fitness has become an integral part of today's culture with more and more people hunting for recommended personal trainer courses to whip them into shape, and to help others achieve their fitness potentials. With the increased interest in health and fitness come rumours surrounding exercise that many people swear by, but just how much truth is in them?
Here are three fitness myths you need to forget:
- Exercise increases hunger
This is a common misunderstanding. Research has shown that exercise has no effect on your food needs, with the exception of endurance athletes who exercise for around two hours or more a day. To the contrary, studies have shown that exercise can suppress hunger both during and after a workout, so don't stuff your face as soon as you've done a workout - you're only undoing all your hard work.
- It doesn't matter where your calories have come from
Wrong! Different food types have different effects on your blood sugar. Refined carbohydrates (white bread, fruit drinks and biscuits) will raise your blood sugar levels incredibly, which can encourage fat storage and weight gain. Fibrous foods like apples and protein will raise blood sugar less. Foods that contain a lot of water, like vegetables and soup will fill you up on fewer calories.
- Diet alone is not enough for sustained weight loss
If you diet and don't exercise, there is potential to lose calories in the short term, but experts say that it's exercise that will keep the pounds off for good. Exercise builds muscle, which takes up less space than fat. Muscle tissue requires more calories to sustain it than fat tissue, so effectively the more muscle tissue you have, the more calories you'll burn at rest. So if you're thinking of really trying to get in shape for good, don't just diet, exercise too and check out personal trainer courses if you want to make the most out of your fitness.
Notes to Editors
- The Training Room runs Level 2 Fitness Instructor and Level 3 Personal Trainer Courses through fast-track and time-part courses as well as pioneering a new flexible e-learning programme.
- Unlike other training programmes, the Training Room's support doesn't finish once students have graduated. All graduates are given access to an exclusive job board, with vacancies posted by some of the biggest organisations in the industry.