MANCHESTER, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - June 10, 2012) - Swinton Vans, a leading broker of van insurance, is warning van drivers not to use their mobile phones at the wheel - or they may see a hefty hike in their insurance premiums.
After analysing quote data from a number of van drivers, Swinton Van has found that, a drivers' insurance quote can double as a result of using their mobile behind the wheel.
In one such instance, one motorist found that their van insurance quote shot up by nearly £1,500 from an initial quote of £1,147.60 - a 128% increase as a result of their dial and drive conviction.
Swinton Vans has put together the following table taken from this quote data, to outline the stark difference between insurance quotes before and after a conviction.
In light of this research, Swinton Van is warning van drivers - in particular those small business owners who use their van as part of their day-to-day trade, such as plumbers, gardeners and electricians - to take care when using a mobile phone on the road, making sure they pull over at a safe and appropriate time in order to take calls or send text messages or emails.
By doing so, drivers will significantly decrease their chances of being hit by heightened insurance premiums.
It has also been reported that some insurers can now refuse cover for drivers with just a single conviction for using their mobile while driving, despite the fact that the penalty is similar to that of a speeding conviction.
Phil Moss, Commercial Vehicle Manager at Swinton Van, said: "For many van owners, their van is their livelihood, so it is especially important that they consider the risks associated with driving while using a mobile phone."
"We would like to advise all van drivers to consider safety first - namely making sure that should they need to take a call, they find a safe place to stop and pull over before doing so. As we can see from this new research, the impact on your commercial van insurance can be drastic, so it is vital that drivers consider this when taking calls on the road."
For more information please contact Mairead Rodden, Lucy Gordon or Alyssa Harrison at SKV Communications on 0161 838 7770 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Swinton Commercial is the dedicated commercial insurance division of the Swinton Group
- Swinton Commercial was awarded Commercial Lines Broker of the Year 2008 and is a finalist at the British Insurer Awards 2009
- With 553 branches nationwide Swinton is the UK's largest high street insurance retailer
- Unlike many other companies in the financial services industry, Swinton is committed to keeping its branches open for business, and part of the community
- Swinton provides a one-stop-shop for the insurance and related needs of its clients, offering home, car, caravan, business, holiday, motorbike and even classic car insurance
- With a dedicated team of advisors on hand at every branch to search a panel of insurers to offer quality cover at competitive rates