LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - Oct. 4, 2012) - It's not the first thing you think of when heading off to the heat on holiday, but it's a common problem suffered by many holidaymakers.
Whether in and out of air conditioned rooms, in a confined cabin on a on a long haul flight, or finally relaxing after getting everything finished at work before you leave, our bodies are easily susceptible to picking up viruses whilst in unfamiliar surroundings.
You should always be prepared, starting with these handy tips from Holland & Barrett.
Tips for beating the holiday cold
- Keep clean - It's vital to make sure you wash your hands thoroughly and frequently. The cold virus can potentially survive for around two hours on a contaminated surface like a door or telephone. This can easily be picked up and transferred to your nose or mouth if you don't keep your hands clean.
- Be prepared - if you do succumb to a cold on holiday you need to make sure you're fully prepared. Take a full stocked travel first aid kit including specific cold and flu products such as Echinacea from Holland and Barrett, paracetamol and a throat spray.
- Don't share food or eating utensils - doing this could help to control the spread of colds and travel related infections.
- Get yourself outside - colds spread in overcrowded indoor environments, so try and spend as much time at the beach or by the pool.
- Don't have too much sun - being exposed to excessive heat and UV rays can impact upon your immune system, which can make you prone to summer colds. Spend time outside, but try and get as much shade as you can.
To find out more and buy online from Holland & Barrett please visit http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/.
As Europe's largest specialist health food retailer, Holland & Barrett has over 600 stores in almost every major city and town across the United Kingdom and Ireland.