BOSTON, MA--(Marketwire - Dec 12, 2012) - Spindle Labs, Inc., whose mission is to make valuable social content more discoverable, today announced the launch of Spindle Alerts. Starting today, users will now be notified of the most interesting and timely updates from the businesses and organizations they care about.
"We're very excited to release Spindle Alerts. This is a major step toward our vision for the future of local discovery. Spindle constantly runs on your behalf, working to identify the most interesting and timely updates from the places you care about most. Thinking beyond the boundaries of the app, Spindle Alerts delivers useful information to you at just the right time, answering questions before they're even posed," said Pat Kinsel, Co-Founder and CEO, Spindle.
Spindle features new search technology that discovers timely and interesting social networking updates from businesses and organizations in Boston, San Francisco, and New York City, with additional cities to be announced in the coming months. Spindle evaluates every update to determine what's most interesting and relevant right now, answering the question "What's happening nearby?" With every query, Spindle leverages signals like location, the social graph, and time of day to surface updates that are always fresh, always dynamic, and often surprising.
After analyzing customer usage and feedback since launch, Favorites has emerged as one of Spindle's most consistently useful features. Favorites is a lightweight way for Spindle users to keep tabs on the places they care about the most, and adding Favorites is one of the first things many people do after they install Spindle. So starting today, Spindle will continuously monitor every update from Favorite Places to identify notification-worthy updates. Examples of Spindle Alerts include:
- An update from a concert venue announcing a few last minute tickets before a sold out show
- An update from a restaurant announcing a special tasting menu
- An update from an art studio announcing last minute availability in a class due to inclement weather
- An update from a museum announcing a presentation by a visiting artist
Kinsel added, "In our quest to assess how interesting and useful any update is to any person at any time and place, Spindle Alerts goes one step further and determines which updates are interesting enough to send as notifications."
Spindle Alerts leverages a set of selective delivery rules, ensuring that only the most interesting and useful updates are sent. The Spindle team is constantly monitoring how people react to Spindle Alerts and will be improving these delivery rules continuously.
Other Spindle features worth noting include:
- Filter Results for Just What You're Looking For: Top Results, Food & Drink, Shopping, Nightlife, Deals & Discounts.
- Place Data Error Reporting (New): Business owners and fans can now help improve Spindle's place data.
- Results Feedback (New): Spindle's algorithms are constantly improving. You can now provide feedback to improve results in your area.
- User Profiles & Sharing: You can see your own activity and discover your friends' activity. You can tell friends where you're going, let them know when there's something happening in your current location, or point people to something cool you discovered via Facebook, Twitter, SMS and email.
- Favorites & Likes: Add spots to your Favorites list and Spindle will tell you what's happening at just those places. Like posts to save them to your profile and share with your friends. Discover your friends' Likes in the activity feeds and on Facebook.
- Place Search & Location Selector: You can search for a specific place by name to discover what's happening there, or use the map to zoom in on activity in a specific location.
The Spindle app is available now in the iTunes App Store - Click here to download.
About Spindle Labs, Inc.
Headquartered in Boston, MA, Spindle Labs, Inc. builds new search technology to help people discover valuable social content they couldn't otherwise find. The premise and promise for Spindle is simple: The context now provided by our mobile devices and social networks can compose a far richer query than any keyword search ever could. Through the Spindle app consumers can find the most interesting updates from businesses and organizations around them, helping them to discover what's happening right now. Spindle was founded by Pat Kinsel, Alex Lambert, and Simon Yun, all former engineers and managers from Microsoft's New England Research and Development (NERD) center in Cambridge, Mass. For more information, visit www.spindle.com.