LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - June 25, 2012) - giffgaff, the community led mobile operator who specialise in sim only deals, has become the first UK mobile network to offer a new hybrid tariff that offers the flexibility of PAYG but the convenience of a contract. The innovation comes as new research shows that an amazing 94%* of mobile customers want to see a better range of contract options from mobile networks.
UK mobile users used to face a choice between a pay monthly deal, which was no hassle but meant the constant threat of 'bill shock' and being tied into a contract, or PAYG, which allows flexible usage but brings the annoyance of constant top-ups. However from June 25th giffgaff's new recurring goodybags - unique monthly bundles of calls, texts and data - will mean consumers can enjoy the best of both worlds. The new auto-renewing function will offer added convenience for those with a regular usage pattern, while still maintaining the flexibility to cancel or change your package at any time.
The idea of recurring sim card goodybags was first suggested by one of the network's customers and is the fourth most requested suggestion on the giffgaff community. giffgaff is run by its members, who are encouraged to submit ideas for how the network can improve its services and who are rewarded for doing so. All new ideas are reviewed by giffgaff on a weekly basis and more than 7,000 have been submitted, of which over 300 have been implemented - an average of one every three days.
Mike Fairman, CEO of giffgaff, said:
"People want value, flexibility and convenience from their mobile phone tariff. It's not much to ask, but until now not a single network offered all three in one package. Today's announcement shows that giffgaff is the only mobile network that really listens to what its customers want.
"Over 70%* of UK pay monthly mobile customers are stuck on contracts lasting 12-months or more and an amazing 94%* want to see a greater variety of options available from their networks, so we felt it was time to offer a uniquely better way to pay.
"We have to say a big 'Thank You' to our members both for coming up with the idea and helping us to implement it."
For more information on monthly and flexible tariffs, head to www.giffgaff.com.
*According to nationally representative research of 2,067 UK adults
Notes to editors
- *giffgaff commissioned nationally representative research of 2,067 UK adults with pay monthly mobile phone contracts in May 2012.
- giffgaff is a community-led SIM-only PAYG mobile operator which keeps costs low by encouraging its community members to help grow and run the business
- giffgaff has an customer satisfaction index of 84% and a Net Promoter Score of 75% (July 11)
- giffgaff doesn't do big budget advertising, instead it keeps costs low by using online channels and encouraging its community members to spread the word amongst their friends
- giffgaff has a simple, competitive pricing structure for PAYG, with absolutely no sting in its tail:
- Calls are charged at 10p per minute and 6p per text
- Free member to member (giffgaff to giffgaff) calls and texts
- Competitive international call rates
- Free calls to 0800 numbers