ATLANTA, GA and SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwire - Oct 8, 2012) - Breast cancer survivors, award-winning journalists, physicians, treatment specialists and activists top the first-ever list of SharecareNow's Top 10 Online Influencers in Breast Cancer. These passionate voices are leading online conversations to help breast cancer patients and their loved ones navigate overwhelming information, from early diagnosis and treatment options to research advances, coping methods and caregiver advice.
"We're excited to release this list of Top 10 Online Influencers for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. With survival rates at an all-time high, it is more important than ever for individuals affected to get quick and reliable access to this wealth of valuable information online -- innovative therapies, research advances, coping and nutrition advice. We want to ensure the best possible care and outcomes for everyone," said Donna Hill Howes, senior vice president at Sharecare.
According to The American Cancer Society, 1 in 8 women (12 percent) in the United States will develop invasive breast cancer during their lifetime, and more than 39,500 women will die from the disease.
To be included in the SharecareNow 10 - Breast Cancer list, influencers must have demonstrated a consistent impact on breast cancer-specific conversations online over the past year. All top influencers have an active online presence across multiple interactive channels -- including Twitter, Facebook, video and blogs -- and address the full-range of breast cancer topics, each in a unique voice. Influence is measured and quantified through a proprietary algorithm based on more than 70 individual metrics, including breast cancer relevance, syndication, presence and reach.
The following top influencers make up the SharecareNow 10 - Breast Cancer list:
1. Liz Szabo - USA Today
- Medical reporter with USA Today covering cancer, heart disease, pediatrics, public health, women's health, parenting, AIDS, infectious disease and environmental health.
2. Stacey Vitiello, MD - Kevin MD
- A breast imaging specialist and health blogger who writes the blog "The Breast Diaries" on StaceyVitielloMD.com and contributes to KevinMD.com and The Atlantic.
3. Dr. Nalini Chilkov, L.Ac., O.M.D. - The Huffington Post
- A doctor of oriental medicine specializing in combining modern and traditional medical approaches to treat cancer and chronic illnesses.
4. Charles Bankhead - MedPage Today
- A medical writer and editor with over 20 years of experience at numerous publications; currently contributes to MedPageToday.
5. Kathy-Ellen Kups - Every Day Health: Life with Breast Cancer
- A breast cancer fighter since 2003 who writes the blog "Life With Breast Cancer" on EverydayHealth.com.
6. Pam Stephan - About.com: Breast Cancer
- Ten-year breast cancer survivor who writes the Breast Cancer Guide for About.com, using personal experiences as patient and caregiver to help others.
7. Gayle Sulik, Ph.D. - Pink Ribbon Blues
- A medical sociologist and author of the Pink Ribbon Blues blog and Pink Ribbon Blues: How Breast Cancer Culture Undermines Women's Health.
8. Marilynn Marchione - Associated Press
- Medical writer for the Associated Press with features regularly appearing on the Huffington Post, covering major medical meetings and national health stories.
9. Elizabeth Landau - CNN Health: The Chart
- Health/science writer and producer for CNN, covering everything from obesity and mental health disorders to medical devices and cancer.
10. Jean Campbell - No Boobs About It
- Two-time breast cancer survivor and author of the blog/online resource "No Boobs About It."
A downloadable version of the SharecareNow 10 - Breast Cancer list can be found here: http://www.sharecare.com/static/sharecarenow-breast-cancer-top-ten-static-infographic. Additional information, including full bios and the methodology behind the influencer list, is available at http://now.sharecare.com.
About SharecareNow, powered by WCG
SharecareNow, powered by WCG, was developed in partnership with Sharecare, the health and wellness social media platform, and WCG, a market-leading digital communications agency. Sharecare Now, powered by WCG, is an online platform developed to access real-time analytics on various health topics, conversations and influencers, and to use these insights to meaningfully impact the conversation through strategic engagement. The platform allows health and wellness professionals, organizations and brands to leverage the most accurate data, solutions and best practices to participate in the social service of expert health and wellness content and communities.
Sharecare is the health and wellness social media platform that connects people with top-ranking experts, ranging from doctors and specialists to hospitals, healthcare companies and health-conscious consumers. The power behind the site's unique Q&A format is its collective wisdom, providing health-seeking consumers with answers reflecting multiple expert perspectives -- greatly simplifying the search for quality information. Created by Jeff Arnold and Dr. Mehmet Oz in partnership with Harpo Studios, Sony Pictures Television and Discovery Communications, Sharecare allows people to ask, learn and act upon questions of health and wellness, creating an active community where knowledge is shared and put into practice -- simply said, sharing care. Launched in 2010, Sharecare is based in Atlanta, Georgia.
Founded and led by chairman and CEO Jim Weiss, WCG is focused on integrated business solutions in the areas of innovation, change and growth for the world's leading companies and brands. WCG serves clients through a network of offices in San Francisco, New York, Chicago, Washington, D.C., Austin, Los Angeles and London. For more than a decade, WCG's seasoned professionals have specialized in providing analytics, content, engagement and strategy to a diverse set of clients across the consumer, technology, healthcare and pharmaceutical industries.