SOURCE: Resurrection Health Care
CHICAGO, IL--(Marketwire - Oct 19, 2012) - Saint Joseph Hospital recently opened a new state-of-the-art Emergency Room (E.R.) that provides patients with privacy, convenience and efficient care -- all in a spacious and comfortable environment.
Focused on creating a superior experience for patients and families, the specially designed E.R. features:
- Spacious and private treatment rooms that can accommodate large families and friends
- A family lounge that promotes quiet and calm, and features wifi-capabilities
- A centrally located physicians' and nurses' station, with visible and easy access to treatment rooms, triage rooms and treatment bays
"Our E.R. has a reputation for delivering high quality and efficient care, but now our patients will feel it within this beautiful new facility," said James Chadd, M.D., medical director, Emergency Department, Saint Joseph Hospital. "Our newly designed environment matches our superior care -- and it's a world of difference for patients."
Saint Joseph Hospital's previous E.R. had no significant renovations in more than 25 years. Physicians, staff, patients, families and neighbors provided input on the design of the new E.R. Phase one construction began in March 2012 and opened on Oct. 3. Phase two construction started Oct. 4 and will be completed by spring 2013.
"We've had excellent performance in our E.R. -- with patients on average seeing a board-certified emergency physician within 20 minutes of arrival," Dr. Chadd said. "With our new E.R., we expect to continue at these levels and improve even further. The goal is to get patients treated and back to their lives as quickly as possible."
The new E.R. includes:
- Three triage rooms where nurses initially assess patients and determine the level of care
- Seven private new treatment rooms with glass doors with blinds for privacy and quiet
- Five treatment bays with reclining chairs for patients with less-serious conditions
- State-of-the-art cardiac monitoring system
- A large tracking board that provides quick visualization for doctors and nurses about the patient's status, such as whether labs and X-rays are complete
- New beds with alarms to alert staff if a patient is trying to get out of bed
- An advanced nurse call system in which a patient can push a pain button and nurse will get a text to his or her phone with the room number -- indicating it's pain-related
"With phase two construction, we'll be adding seven more exam rooms, some designed for overweight patients, behavioral health and other needs," said Ronna Atlas, R.N., clinical nurse manager, Emergency Department, Saint Joseph Hospital. "Our patients have come to expect the highest quality of care and incredible service, now they can get that care in a calm, healing environment designed with their comfort in mind."
Click here to take a video tour of the E.R.
About Presence Saint Joseph Hospital
Presence Saint Joseph Hospital is a nationally ranked, award-winning teaching hospital serving Chicago's lake shore communities. Visit sjh.reshealth.org.