SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwire - Aug 2, 2012) -
Core News Facts:
- QuickPay Corp., a premier provider of mobile parking payment solutions, today announced several pieces of news which include the company's product expansion, new customer deployments, the introduction of Barney Pell as CEO, and the completion of $3.5 million in seed funding.
About QuickPay's Product Expansion and Deployments:
- QuickPay today announced that it has expanded its QP QuickPay™ product, which previously supported mobile parking in unattended and attended parking lots and garages, to support off-street gated facilities. This makes QuickPay's solution the first to enable mobile parking payments in a single unified system across all major off-street parking scenarios in the U.S.
- To enable this expansion to gated facilities QuickPay has developed and deployed the QP GateKit™ for parking facilities with entry and exit barriers. The smart, turnkey kit integrates seamlessly with all types of existing parking systems, delivering leading-edge cloud and mobile capabilities at a very low cost. Now in use in 10 garages across the San Francisco Bay Area, QP GateKit helps connect mobile parking payment users with far more parking spaces in garages. QuickPay estimates that 50 percent of all parking spaces are in gated facilities.
About QuickPay's New CEO and Funding:
- Executive Chairman Barney Pell, the Founder of Powerset which was acquired by Microsoft in 2008 for $100 million, will step into the role of the company's CEO and remain as Chairman. Founder, President, and former CEO Carl Muirbrook will remain in the role of President.
- QuickPay Corp. also announced the completion of $3.5 million in seed funding. QuickPay's seed funding will be used to expand the sales and engineering teams and further build out the product to launch in new cities.
- QuickPay investors include Detroit-based Fontinalis Partners, which brings deep expertise along with a large network relevant to the company's growth, and Silicon Valley-leading VC firms, Andreessen Horowitz and Advanced Technology Ventures. Additional Silicon-Valley seasoned angel investors -- including Accelerator Venture Partners, David Jeske, Alfred Mandel, Louis Monier, Matt Ocko, Lior Ron, Ofer Ronen, and Ben Smith IV -- add value in internet, local commerce, marketing, search and social media arenas. All of which are key areas of focus and growth for QuickPay.
- One year since the service launched, QP QuickPay is now live in over 100 locations across 12 cities in California, Colorado, and Nevada, covering 12,500 parkable spaces.
- QuickPay's leading parking operator partners include California Parking Co, City Park, Douglas Parking LLC, and Parking Concepts Inc.
Barney Pell, Chairman and CEO, QuickPay Corp.
"We've uncovered a unique and exciting opportunity to bring the benefits of local, social, mobile apps, payments, cloud technology and even big data to the world of parking. Where others have addressed local transportation or hotel booking inefficiencies, QuickPay brings innovation to parking, a complex activity that most people struggle with daily and for which Americans spend $26B a year."
Chris Thomas, Co-Founder, Fontinalis Partners, and Member of the Board, QuickPay Corp.
"QuickPay continues to engage parking operators and customers with some of the most innovative solutions for off-street parking in the industry. With their increased product offerings they are primed to deliver smart parking services to customers across the United States."
About Barney Pell:
- Barney Pell, Ph.D., is a San Francisco-based entrepreneur, technologist, angel investor, and advisor to over 20 startups.
- Pell is currently Chairman and CEO of QuickPay Corp., where he brings together years of experience in local, mobile, and social search to further innovation in the parking industry.
- Pell is well known for founding natural-language-search company, Powerset, which was acquired by Microsoft in 2008 for $100 million. He continued in a leadership role at Microsoft as search strategist and evangelist, helping to launch Bing, and later as leader of Bing Local and Mobile Search.
- Earlier in his career, Pell was a leader of advanced information technology R&D at NASA, and is now currently the Co-Founder of Moon Express, a commercial space startup building a robot lunar lander, in partnership with NASA.
- Pell is Associate Founder and Trustee of Singularity University, a university that educates present and future leaders about exponential technologies and their ability to address humanity's grand challenges.
About QuickPay Corp.:
Founded in 2010 and headquartered in San Francisco, privately-held QuickPay Corp. is a leading provider of unified mobile parking technology. QuickPay provides a cloud-based mobile parking access and revenue control system that integrates with any legacy parking infrastructure, enabling parking and transit owners and operators to unify their assets under a single low-cost, fast-deploy mobile payment platform. For consumers, QuickPay's mobile apps enable users to find, access, and pay for parking, with convenience and a wide variety of benefits. For more information please visit: www.qpme.com.