SOURCE: Putnam Investments
BOSTON, MA--(Marketwire - Feb 6, 2013) - Putnam Investments today announced the launch of an ongoing dialogue with the marketplace in 2013 on the importance for financial advisors and investors to continually anticipate the evolution of the investment markets -- that show little sign of losing their highly dynamic qualities -- and act to seize a new set of opportunities and mitigate unforeseen challenges.
The Putnam awareness-building campaign, titled "New Ways of Thinking," will officially begin on Monday, February 11, through a series of new print, direct marketing, and online advertising, and will use a host of content-driven, multi-media vehicles to communicate the need to incorporate modern, innovative investment approaches into more traditional investment models and mindsets in order to continually stay ahead of the curve.
"The marketplace needs to think today about tomorrow," said Robert L. Reynolds, President and Chief Executive Officer, Putnam Investments. "The past five years have brought extreme swings in market conditions, driven by a confluence of factors that left many investors shell shocked and ill-prepared to either seize unprecedented investment opportunities or protect their portfolios from downside risk."
Importantly, Reynolds noted that, "While staying ahead of the twists and turns in the markets has always been important, it needs to be crystal clear to investors, their advisors, and asset managers, that embracing innovative thinking is no longer optional -- it is imperative."
The market environment for the foreseeable future demands that advisors and their clients build greater versatility and active risk management into their underlying portfolios, using a host of investment tools, indicated Reynolds. This may include combining benchmark-measured and benchmark-independent investments, global diversification with embedded downside protection to help navigate uncertain markets, and strategic use of alternative asset classes, he noted.
Awareness-Building Campaign Details
Putnam's awareness-building efforts will focus on providing insight on the challenges facing financial advisors and investors today and beyond, encouraging them to consider 'new ways of thinking' about investing, which could include taking a more targeted approach to investing, pursuing the best ideas -- wherever there are, allocating risk -- not just assets, and finding new drivers of return. In addition to new print, direct marketing and online advertising, the firm will develop content-rich thought leadership through business seminars, industry events, and white papers on an array of topics including the marriage of traditional and alternative products, benefits of Sharpe ratio investing, active risk management, and more.
Recent History of Product Innovation at Putnam
Under Reynolds' leadership, Putnam has introduced a series of product innovations designed to help advisors and investors address a new era of opportunities and challenges including:
- Putnam Absolute Return Funds, the industry's first complete suite of absolute return products; designed to seek positive returns above inflation over a full market cycle regardless of market condition, with lower volatility.
- Putnam RetirementReady® Funds, the first lifecycle products that give fund managers control over all securities chosen for inclusion in a target-date product.
- Putnam Equity Spectrum and Putnam Capital Spectrum Funds, which specialize in finding value in the stocks and bonds of undervalued, leveraged companies by investing across the entire capital structure.
- Putnam Global Sector Funds, the first series of mutual funds to target stocks in sectors across the entire MSCI World Index (as well as Putnam Global Sector Fund, the first fund-of-sector-funds in the global equity space).
- Putnam Multi-Cap Core, Putnam Multi-Cap Value, and Putnam Multi-Cap Growth Funds, three multi-cap equity funds with exposure to the full array of U.S. stocks within the value, core/blend, and growth style universes.
- Putnam Dynamic Risk Allocation Fund, which employs a form of risk parity, which the firm has managed for a variety of sophisticated institutional investors for over a half-decade. The Fund provides a different lens on investing by actively and regularly rebalancing varying sources of portfolio risk within and among multiple asset classes.
- Putnam Short Duration Income Fund that strives for a higher rate of current income than is typical of short-term investments and has a greater focus on capital preservation than is usually associated with ultra-short bond funds, with the goal of maintaining liquidity.
About Putnam Investments
Founded in 1937, Putnam Investments is a leading global money management firm. At the end of January 2013, Putnam had $133 billion in assets under management. Putnam has offices in Boston, London, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, Tokyo, Beijing, Singapore and Sydney. For more information, visit http://www.putnam.com.
Putnam mutual funds are distributed by Putnam Retail Management.