SOURCE: The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society; The Hotel Council of San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwire - Jul 16, 2012) - We are thrilled to announce that we have added several more exciting travel packages to the "Million Dollar Mission" online auction, which has already received hundreds of bids. Featured among the 100+ experiential travel packages is a three-night getaway at the Sheraton Waikiki Resort -- the ultimate tropical escape; a romantic two-night stay at the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills, including daily breakfast for two; and a luxurious three-night stay in a Junior Suite room at Las Ventanas al Paraíso -- a five-star resort located at the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula. The online auction can be found at: www.biddingforgood.com/milliondollarmission.
In the true spirit of hospitality, The Hotel Council of San Francisco is partnering with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) to raise funds for vital research and support. One of the most exciting Million Dollar Mission campaign initiatives is an unparalleled online auction featuring the city's most acclaimed hotels, restaurants and attractions. The online auction (which may be found at www.biddingforgood.com/milliondollarmission) features not only an unsurpassed collection of one-of-a-kind packages from America's favorite city, but unique travel packages from across the globe.
When viewing items on the "Million Dollar Mission" online auction site, bidders should note that the listed retail prices reflect the price at which the items are typically priced. However, the opening bid price is a percentage off that retail price. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to not only donate to an important cause, but to take advantage of incredible travel options at discounted prices.
"We are so proud to be part of this unprecedented, city-wide campaign to raise a million dollars," said Catherine Brown, LLS Executive Director. "The packages generously donated by the hotels and their partners to the online auction are incredible. Together, we are paving the way for new and improved cancer therapies that will benefit generations to come."
Bidders can also utilize the "Buy it Now" feature, which enables them to purchase their desired package immediately, often at below-retail prices.
The online auction ends July 27th 2012, so make sure you take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and bid on your favorite travel packages before time runs out!
This city-wide crusade, which officially launched July 1, 2012, will bring together thousands of San Francisco hoteliers in a "Million Dollar Mission." The campaign, poised to become one of the city's most impressive single-industry supported fund-raising initiatives, will help provide financial, educational and social services for individuals and their families affected by blood cancer.
Additional information on the campaign may be found online at: www.lls.org/. Campaign supporters may donate online at: www.donateSFMission.org. Please also see the Million Dollar Mission campaign video at www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya9gXQnuXPA
DID YOU KNOW?
The ongoing need for research
- Leukemia causes more deaths than any other cancer among children and young adults under age 20. And it affects 10 times as many adults as children.
- Because of their lower incidence rates, some blood cancers are considered "orphan diseases." Drug companies view them as having low profit potential and are less inclined to invest in new therapies. LLS helps bridge the funding gap to get these treatments from bench to bedside.
How blood cancer research helps other cancers
- Blood cancer can be easier to study in the laboratory than tumor cancers because there are a large number of cells to work with and they are widely accessible in the patient's blood stream.
- Blood cancer research tells us a lot about basic cancer biology. Scientists can learn how cancer cells function, signal each other and turn on and off; they can apply their findings to other cancers.
- We see this in the fact that nearly half of the drugs approved by the FDA in the last decade were for blood cancers. LLS had a hand in many of them, and all of them are being tested to treat other cancers like breast, lung and prostate cancer.
- So your support not only helps patients with leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma, but also friends and loved ones you may know who have been touched by cancers.
The Hotel Council of San Francisco was established in 1987 as a non-profit organization to represent all segments of the lodging industry. Our city is home to a booming tourism sector, of which the hospitality industry is a proud and vital part. We are the voice of San Francisco's hotels. The membership roster includes San Francisco's leading hotels of all sizes, in addition to more than 40 Allied Members, who are the major suppliers to these properties. Find out more on our website, www.hotelcouncilsf.org or by calling (415) 391-5197.
The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society ® (LLS) is the world's largest voluntary health agency dedicated to blood cancer. The LLS mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. LLS funds lifesaving blood cancer research around the world and provides free information and support services. Founded in 1949 and headquartered in White Plains, NY, LLS has chapters throughout the United States and Canada. To learn more, visit www.lls.org or contact the Information Resource Center at (800) 955-4572, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET. www.lls.org