NEW YORK, NY--(Marketwire - Sep 19, 2012) - NewMediaMetrics (www.newmediametrics.net), a strategic marketing-optimization company, has released its annual TV Programming study and predicts that Revolution will be NBC's breakout hit this season while Animal Practice and Guys with Kids, also on NBC, will pull fewer viewers.
Revolution is a science-fiction drama about survival in a society where all technology has been mysteriously disabled. It made its debut on Monday, Sept. 17.
Anger Management, starring Charlie Sheen as a therapist, first aired in June and drew some of the highest Nielsen ratings to date for a program on the FX network, which has ordered 90 new episodes.
As for Bristol Palin, her reality-based show on Lifetime network, Life's a Tripp, had its first run this summer beginning in June and received low Nielsen ratings and poor reviews.
Before either show even aired, NewMediaMetrics included them and 48 other new broadcast and cable shows in the 2012 TV & Programming Study fielded in late May of this year. Anger Management drew some of the highest Emotional Attachment (EA™) ratings across all demos while Bristol Palin's new show drew some of the lowest EA™ ratings.
Gary Reisman, co-founder of NewMediaMetrics, said he would be very surprised if Lifetime renewed Palin's show.
For the past six years, NewMediaMetrics has conducted the TV data and analysis study of new and returning shows, and it has accurately predicted the performance of Fall TV programming among viewers. These forecasts have helped brand marketers align messages with the programs and media that their customers most intently consume.
"A viewer who is highly attached to a program views it more often," said Reisman. "What's important, though, is that a highly attached viewer is 46% more likely to go out of his or her way to watch every episode of that program. The viewer also gives 40% more attention when viewing and is less likely to channel surf during commercial breaks."
Consequently, highly attached viewers are more likely to be receptive and pay attention to messages from brands to which they are also highly attached, Reisman explained.
Some other findings from this year's study are as follows:
- The CW network has two shows within the top five EA-rated shows -- Beauty and the Beast and Arrow. Beauty and the Beast scored highest among females 18-24; Arrow garnered the highest EA rating among men 18-24, even compared to all the new broadcast-network shows
- ABC's Nashville, CBS's Vegas and Fox's The Mindy Project are expected to be their top new hits this year
- The new cable shows that are predicted to win over audiences: Anger Management (FX), The Client List (Lifetime), Perception (TNT), Major Crimes (TNT) and The Moment (USA).
Anger Management was the only cable show with significantly high Emotional Attachment ratings across all key demos 18-54. The Client List showed the highest EA rating among all cable shows for females 25-34. Dallas scored high with males and females age 35 and older which mirrored the on-air ratings.
- Cable shows not faring well: Silicon Valley (Bravo), Bristol Palin: Life's a Tripp (Lifetime), Fast and Loud (Discovery), The Wedding Band (TBS) and Brand X (FX)
- The top online destinations to consume TV content are: YouTube, Netflix.com, Hulu, ABC.com and CBS.com
In addition to identifying which TV programs will achieve ratings success or failure, NewMediaMetrics also cross referenced the shows to brands, media platforms and media properties to help marketers get the best ROI from media spends. Its clients have included Verizon, Walmart, and Yahoo!.
Findings from the study that directly relate to brand insight include:
- Starbucks's most highly attached consumers also have the highest attachment to The Big Bang Theory and favor the Fox network
- The most attaching TV show for iPad loyalists is Family Guy
- Consumers most highly attached to The Gap are also most attached to the History Channel and NBC
Each year, NewMediaMetrics surveys over 3,750 consumers aged 18-64 to gauge their Emotional Attachment to 360 consumer brands across 45 categories and more than 300 TV networks, shows and websites airing TV content.
NewMediaMetrics (NMM) is a strategic marketing optimization company that helps marketers increase revenues by redeploying resources toward marketing efforts most valuable to their core customers. NewMediaMetrics helps marketers and media companies improve their ROI by "LEAP-ing" -- Leveraging Emotional Attachment for Profit. NewMediaMetrics' proprietary, predictive LEAP™ Platform identifies and targets high-value, revenue producing targets with the marketing efforts, messages and media predicted to perform best -- re-allocating resources and investments toward initiatives that will optimize results.