MANCHESTER, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - Sept. 4, 2012) - After what has been confirmed as the wettest summer on record for 100 years, Swinton Bikes, one of the UK's leading retailers of motorcycle insurance, is offering advice to bikers riding in heavy rainfall.
The Met Office recently confirmed that the 2012 British summer has been one of the dullest, coolest and wettest on record since 1912, with areas of the UK being hit by heavy rain and flash flooding.
Figures also show that the average summer temperature in Britain this year reached a lowly 14C (57F), while torrential downpours have forced people from their homes, with Cumbria being the worst hit in recent days.*
For bikers looking to take to the tarmac in spite of the adverse weather conditions, Swinton Bikes is offering the following tips to ensure bikers have a safe journey this summer:
- Be prepared. Before setting off on any journey, check weather reports so that you are prepared for the road conditions, and know what to expect during the ride.
- Routine checks. Carry out safety checks such as measuring tyre pressure, oil levels and testing the brakes before setting off.
- Dress for the conditions. Making sure you stay warm and dry is crucial when riding in torrential rain, as being cold and wet can distract you from safely navigating the road. Ensuring you wear an extra layer or investing in specialist thermal riding gear makes for a safer ride.
- Keep your distance. The risk of aquaplaning is high when riding in heavy rain, so give yourself plenty of space on the road so that you can safely correct any mistakes. Remember, other motorists will also be trying to maintain control of their vehicles.
Anthony Aronin, Head of Swinton Bikes, said: "With the British weather going against bikers this summer, it is vital that riders take the necessary precautions to ensure they have a safe ride during heavy downpours.
"Performing routine checks of your bike, dressing for the conditions and employing better observation on the road can make all the difference between a safe ride and an unsafe one. Having the correct motorcycle insurance will also provide additional cover, should the worst happen."
*The Guardian: 'Heavy rain causes chaos as summer confirmed as wettest in 100 years'. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/aug/30/rain-chaos-summer-wettest-years?newsfeed=true
For more information please contact Mairead Rodden or Lucy Gordon at SKV Communications on 0161 838 7770 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- With 553 branches nationwide Swinton is the UK's largest high street insurance retailer.
- Unlike many other companies in the financial services industry, Swinton is committed to keeping its branches open for business, and part of the community.
- Swinton provides a one-stop-shop for the insurance and related needs of its clients, offering home, car, caravan, business, holiday, motorbike and even classic car insurance.
- With a dedicated team of advisors on hand at every branch to search a panel of insurers to offer quality cover at competitive rates.