TORONTO, ONTARIO--(Marketwire - Sept. 28, 2012) - CSPC 2012 is pleased to announce that the Hon. Gary Goodyear, Minister of State for Science and Technology will provide the opening keynote address on Monday, November 5th at 8:45 AM.
Also, the Hon. Stephen Khan, Alberta Minister of Enterprise and Advanced Education will provide a luncheon keynote speech on Tuesday, November 6th.
CSPC 2012 will feature an impressive program with more than 90 speakers - leaders of science and innovation - from industry, academia, the media and government. These include:
- Hon. Moira Stillwell, MLA, Minister of Social Development, BC
- Bob Fessenden, Premier's Council for Economic Strategy, Government of Alberta
- Dan Wicklum, CEO, Canada Oil Sands Innovation Alliance, (COSIA)
- Antonia Maioni, Incoming President, Canadian Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences
- Jeffrey Simpson, National Affairs Columnist, The Globe and Mail
- Jay Ingram, Founder, Beakerhead, Science Journalist
- Rory McAlpine, Vice President, Maple Leaf Foods
- Mike Herrington, Executive Director, Global Entrepreneurship Monitor (GEM)
- Richard Hawkins, Canada Research Chair, Science, Technology and Innovation Policy, University of Calgary
Keynote session: Pulling Together: "What is the appropriate division of labour between business, government, and the academy in advancing science-based innovation in Canada?" a dialogue with the three Honourary Co-Chairs:
- The Hon. Preston Manning C.C., President & CEO, Manning Centre for Building Democracy
- Dr. Eric Newell, Chancellor Emeritus, University of Alberta, Former Chair and CEO, Syncrude Canada Ltd.
- M. Elizabeth Cannon, PhD, FCAE, FRSC, President and Vice-Chancellor, University of Calgary
Twenty-one panel sessions, reflecting the four conference themes, submitted from across the country and internationally, including:
- Innovation, R&D, and Productivity in the Oil and Gas Sector
- Dissecting Canada's Science & Technology Landscape
- Innovation and Agriculture and the Role of Policy
- Next Generation e-Health: Integrating Research, Policy, Industry
- Entrepreneurship as a vehicle for innovation
- "Science Policy 101" workshop
For the complete agenda please go to http://www.cspc2012.ca/glance.php and for descriptions of all the panel discussions see http://www.cspc2012.ca/paneldescriptions.php.
Don't miss Canada's premiere science policy conference as it brings a spotlight to Western Canada!
Follow us on Twitter @sciencepolicy, Facebook, and LinkedIn for the latest in science policy news and conference updates.
Register today at https://www.verney.ca/cspc2012/registration/index.php to benefit from the Early Bird rate (ends October 1, 2012).