SOURCE: Million Puppet March, Inc.
WASHINGTON, DC--(Marketwire - Nov 1, 2012) - Today the Million Puppet March, Inc. announced the agenda for its Nov. 3 march on Washington in support of continued funding for public broadcasting. The organization announced that individuals worldwide can also participate virtually through its social media channels.
Created in response to Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney's suggestion to discontinue federal funding of public broadcasting as a means to reduce the deficit, the Million Puppet March was developed to reaffirm broad-based, non-partisan support for continued funding of public media.
Million Puppet March
When & Where:
Sat., Nov. 3, 2012
- Lincoln Park (east of the Capitol Building)
- Capture Million Puppet March founders Michael Bellavia and Chris Mecham addressing the nearly 600 participants expected for the march and gain insight into why public broadcasting needs the support of all Americans.
- Lincoln Park
- Engage participants as they begin the march from Lincoln Park to the Capitol Reflecting Pool near Grant Memorial.
- Capitol Reflecting Pool, Grant Memorial
- Capture the Million Puppet March's Rally featuring entertainment from puppeteers, music from the Million Puppet musical album, remarks from supporters from around the Country:
- President and CEO of Free Press, Craig Aaron;
- Event Founders, Michael Bellavia and Chris Mecham;
- Cast of Bread and Puppet;
- And more.
- Global tweet: I support continued funding of public broadcasting #pubmedia #MPM2012
The Million Puppet March has garnered appeal from around the world and has inspired additional events planned by individuals in New York City, Atlanta, Seattle, the UK and New Zealand. Celebrities as diverse as Ian Somerhalder of LOST and Vampire Diaries, Pam Grier of Jackie Brown and Jane Wiedlen of The Go-Go's have voiced support for the March. In addition the Broadway cast of Avenue Q, the Tony Award winner for Best Musical, provided a YouTube video testimonial of support for public TV, public radio and the November 3rd event.
The event will be live-streamed on Ustream.
Founded in October 2012 by Chris Mecham and Michael Bellavia, the mission of the Million Puppet March, Inc., an Idaho corporation, is to support a robust public media, arts and broadcasting ecosystem by developing multiplatform initiatives in arts, media, entertainment and educational programming. The company's inaugural initiative is the Million Puppet March live event for the continued funding of public media. Future programs of Million Puppet March, Inc. include digital, mobile, music, video, print and other live events. Million Puppet March, Inc. is not affiliated with the Sesame Workshop, PBS, The Jim Henson Company or Disney. For more information, please visit our website, Facebook page, YouTube page or Twitter account. In addition, please sign our petition in support of public broadcasting.