MANCHESTER, UNITED KINGDOM--(Marketwire - July 23, 2012) - With the arrival of the London Olympics in the coming weeks Swinton, the UK's leading car insurance broker is providing helpful advice for motorists driving in and around London during the busy summer months ahead.
As thousands of athletes and spectators descend on London, motorists are preparing themselves for the long delays expected with a heavy influx of traffic.
Swinton says drivers need to be made aware of the effects associated with heavy congestion and summer heat and has some helpful tips on how to cope in such circumstances.
Swinton's top tips for driving in London over the summer:
- Always make sure you have enough petrol when setting off on a journey - heavy traffic or diversions can mean your route takes longer than usual which could result in your fuel tank running out of petrol which can seriously damage your engine
- Be aware of road changes and fines - the Olympic 'games lanes' are open in London but only to accredited Olympic vehicles. Anyone caught driving in these lanes between the hours of 5am - 10pm could be fined up to £130
- Stay alert and avoid minor bumps - sitting in long traffic queues can be tiresome for drivers so it's important to keep an adequate distance from the car in front and remain wary of other road users pulling in and out of traffic lanes
- Sitting in heavy traffic can be frustrating for both the driver and passengers so it's important to remain calm with full attention on the road at all times
- It always helps to have a supply of drinking water in cars during the summer as sitting in traffic jams for long periods of time in intense heat can result in dehydration - drink little and often to remain cool and hydrated
Steve Chelton, Claims Manager at Swinton Car Insurance said: "Preparation is key to survival for any motorist driving in London this summer. Over-heating engines, road rage and motors breaking down as a result of empty fuel tanks are associated with extreme heavy traffic, so drivers should do their utmost to keep their cool. Drivers should give themselves plenty of time to reach their destination and staying up to date with traffic news can help avoid busy routes in and around the city."
- With 553 branches nationwide Swinton is the UK's largest high street insurance retailer
- Unlike many other companies in the financial services industry, Swinton is committed to keeping its branches open for business, and part of the community
- Swinton provides a one-stop-shop for the insurance and related needs of its clients, offering home, car, caravan, business, holiday, motorbike and even classic car insurance
- With a dedicated team of advisors on hand at every branch to search a panel of insurers to offer quality cover at competitive rates.