SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwire - Aug 1, 2012) - JiWire, a location-based mobile advertising company, today announced its Q2 Mobile Audience Insights Report. This quarter's report examines the rapid increase in connected device usage, location-based and social tagging trends and connected device adoption. Key highlights include:
- Wi-Fi usage: Wi-Fi usage has increased by 240 percent over the past year, led by growth on mobile devices
- Device ownership: Fifty-two percent of on-the-go moms own a tablet
- Location-based and social sharing trends: Sixty-two percent of consumers location-tag their social sharing posts
- Mobile device adoption: Android continues to gain momentum in the U.K. with a 7.6 percent gain in market share for the second consecutive quarter
Wi-Fi usage shifts to smartphones and tablets
Constant connectivity on is vital to on-the-go consumers and it's apparent in the way they are connecting. In Q2, JiWire's Insights reports tracked a significant increase in Wi-Fi usage over the past year, punctuated by a shift in usage from laptops to smartphones and tablets:
- Total Wi-Fi usage has more than doubled, increasing by 240 percent from Q2 2011
- In Q2 2012, mobile devices (smartphones and tablets) represented 52 percent of total Wi-Fi usage with laptops making up the remaining 48 percent of usage. Compared to this time last year, mobile devices represented 30 percent of Wi-Fi usage and laptops 70 percent
"This represents a major milestone: mobile devices are leading a category that has historically been consider laptop-centric, and in places like restaurants and in shopping malls," said Dee Dee Paeseler, Director of Strategic Marketing at JiWire. "Now it becomes more about reaching the right audience in the right location with the right message, rather than focusing on the device or the type of connection."
JiWire's Q2 Insights Report also discovered that moms have become more tech savvy as they embrace tablets. Respectively, tablet ownership is highest amongst parents:
- Fifty-two percent of moms (women with children) and 44 percent of dads (men with children) own tablets
- Forty-two percent of men and 40 percent of women without children who own mobile devices, own tablets
Location-based Sharing Trends
With the rise of social sharing on mobile devices, 62 percent of on-the-go consumers tag their social sharing post. More specifically:
- Ninety-one percent of on-the-go consumers use Facebook, of which 88 percent location-tag their posts on a monthly basis or more frequently
- Fifty-one percent also reported using Instagram, the youngest of the social app family, and 60 percent location-tagging their posts on the app
- The majority of people (49 percent) location-tag posts in order to notify family and friends of their travels and experiences
- About one-third of users also location-tag their posts or photos in attempt to connect with others nearby, or because the application automates it or makes it easy for the user to do
Mobile Device Trends and Adoption
In Q2 2012, the Android operating system continues to gain market share in the U.K. driven, in part, by the rapid adoption of Android-based devices such as the Samsung Galaxy models
Additionally, the U.S. and U.K. both saw a drop in market share with the iOS, but in both cases, it still holds the No. 1 ranking.
About JiWire's Mobile Audience Insights Report
JiWire's Mobile Audience Insights Report is based on data from approximately 315,000 public Wi-Fi locations. JiWire serves advertisements to over 30,000 public Wi-Fi locations in North America and records data from every ad request. The report surveyed nearly 1,400 U.S. customers randomly selected across JiWire's Wi-Fi Media Channel from April 2012 to June 2012. Quarterly public Wi-Fi location rankings and business model distributions are based on the final day of the quarter.
JiWire is a leading location-based mobile advertising company that reaches the on-the-go audience. The network enables advertisers to reach 50 million unique users each month and deliver ads in and around a person's physical location. JiWire's network targets audiences on mobile phones, tablets and laptops through its public Wi-Fi channel and in-app ads. The app network includes some of the leading location-based apps. JiWire's long-established Wi-Fi network includes more than 30,000 locations that allow Wi-Fi operators to monetize their networks through ad revenue. The JiWire ad network delivers locally-relevant ad campaigns for Fortune 250 companies who want to 'locationize' their brands at significant scale across North America. For more information, please visit www.JiWire.com or call (415) 877-4711.