January 12, 2011 09:47 ET
InfoWorld Announces the 2011 Technology of the Year Award Winners
Eighteen Solution Providers in Seventeen Technology Categories Recognized as Best in Field
FRAMINGHAM, MA--(Marketwire - January 12, 2011) - IDG's InfoWorld, the technology media brand devoted to modernizing enterprise IT, has announced the winners of its annual Technology of the Year awards. Chosen by InfoWorld Test Center editors and reviewers, and drawn from all products InfoWorld tested in the past year, the annual Technology of the Year Awards identifies the best and most innovative products on the IT landscape.
The 2011 awards, which recognize eighteen products from fifteen vendors, reflect changes in technology over the past year and foreshadow emerging trends. Prevalent changes showcased in this year's recognized solutions include the rise of virtualization and multicore hardware in the data center, the shift toward cloud computing, and the challenges of virtualization, cloud computing, a richer Web, and powerful, lightweight mobile devices to the traditional desktop paradigm.
"Of all the products we tested in the past year -- in the InfoWorld Test Center -- these are the ones that impressed us the most," said Doug Dineley, executive editor/test center, InfoWorld. "Our Technology of the Year Award winners are not just the best products in their class, but the ones that are changing the way IT services are delivered and the way people work."
The 2011 Technology of the Year categories and recipients are:
- Best Blade System: HP BladeSystem c7000
- Best Collaboration Platform: Microsoft SharePoint 2010
- Best CPU (2 recipients): AMD Opteron Magny-Cours AND Intel Xeon Nehalem-EX
- Best IDE (non-Java): Microsoft Visual Studio 2010
- Best Java IDE: JetBrains IntelliJ IDEA
- Best PHP IDE: Eclipse PHP Development Tools
- Best Python IDE: ActiveState Komodo IDE
- Best Log Management Solution : NitroSecurity NitroView ESM and ELM
- Best Mobile Platform: Google Android
- Best PC: Apple iPad
- Best RIA Platform: Microsoft Silverlight
- Best Storage System: Dell EqualLogic PS6010XVS iSCSI SAN
- Best VDI Starter Kit: Kaviza VDI-in-a-box
- Best Virtual Lab Manager: Surgient Virtual Automation Platform (now part of Quest Software)
- Best Virtualization Platform: VMware vSphere
- Best WAN Accelerator: Riverbed Steelhead
- Best Workstation: Dell Precision T5500
To learn more about the winning technologies visit: http://www.infoworld.com/d/infoworld/the-best-hardware-and-software-the-year-732. To read additional information on each winner visit: http://www.infoworld.com/d/infoworld/infoworlds-2011-technology-the-year-award-winners-285.
"InfoWorld's audience of IT professionals is involved in the purchase of innovative products to help streamline processes and drive business value," said Sean Weglage, SVP, digital and publisher, InfoWorld. "They visit InfoWorld.com as a trusted resource to learn about the benefits of new products from the InfoWorld Test Center and first-hand experiences of the writers and bloggers."
About InfoWorld Technology of the Year Awards
Selected by InfoWorld Test Center editors and reviewers, the annual awards identify the best and most innovative products on the IT landscape. Winners are drawn from all of the products tested by InfoWorld during the past year, with the final selections made by InfoWorld's Test Center staff. All products reviewed by the Test Center are eligible to be considered for a Technology of the Year award.
InfoWorld is the leading resource for content and tools on "modernizing enterprise IT." InfoWorld's Web site (http://www.infoworld.com), focused seminars and custom programs provide a deep dive into specific technologies to help IT managers excel in their roles and provide opportunities for IT vendors to reach this audience. InfoWorld is published by IDG Enterprise, a subsidiary of International Data Group (IDG), the world's leading media, events, and research company. Company information is available at www.idgenterprise.com.