ARCADIA, WI--(Marketwire - Aug 13, 2012) - While the Summer Olympics have wrapped up for another four years, the stunning performances will be remembered for many years to come. And whether you're a celebrated athlete -- or just trying to stay in shape -- your success could hinge on something as simple as a good night's sleep.
"More and more research is showing that a key component to better sports performance is better sleep," says Ben Thorud, Senior Vice President of Ashley Sleep. "Not only can deep sleep lead to improved mood and reaction time, it's also believed that it promotes the release of a growth hormone that helps burn fat, stimulate muscle growth and repair, and much more. These findings benefit athletes, as well as average people just trying to improve their health."
Experts say seven to nine hours of sleep is ideal for adults, while children and teens require about nine to ten hours a night. But how do you achieve optimal rest? Ashley Sleep offers these tips:
1. Create a relaxing bedtime routine. Unwind with hot bath, read a book or sip a cup of decaffeinated herbal tea.
2. Exercise regularly, but not too close to bedtime. Leave at least three hours for your body to unwind after a workout.
3. If you're going to drink caffeine/alcohol or eat a big meal, don't do it too close to bedtime.
4. Turn your bedroom into a dark, quiet sleep sanctuary. If your mattress and/or pillows are no longer offering the level of comfort and support you need for a good night's rest, consider new ones. Ideally, you should replace pillows every year -- and mattresses every five to seven years.
5. Learn to turn off your brain. Worrying about work, the kids or your "to-do list" makes it almost impossible to drift off to sleep. Do mental exercises like conjuring up an image and focusing on its details -- or concentrating on positive thoughts and memories. This may distract you just long enough to fall asleep.
To learn more interesting sleep facts or to browse our innovative products, visit AshleySleep.com.
About Ashley Sleep
Ashley Sleep is manufactured by Ashley Furniture Industries, Inc., the largest furniture manufacturer in the world, with products available at participating Ashley Furniture HomeStores and other quality mattress retailers (Store Locator). Making its own place in the sleep industry, Ashley Sleep is one of the fastest growing mattress brands in the world. First introduced in 2008, more people are sleeping on Ashley Sleep mattresses than ever before.
Like us: Facebook.com/AshleySleep