MONTRÉAL, QUÉBEC--(Marketwire - July 16, 2012) - The Federal Electoral Boundaries Commission for Quebec has proposed a new electoral map for consideration at public hearings this fall.
Quebec's electoral map has been substantially modified, in particular by the addition of three electoral districts (two in Montréal's northern rim and one in its southern rim). In addition, the commission has reduced by one the number of districts in Eastern Quebec and created a new district on the Island of Montréal.
"In our opinion, the proposed changes reflect the new reality of Quebec, with the current trend toward higher-density urban centres. These changes led us to seek new names for a large number of electoral districts. Under the circumstances, we felt it appropriate to take account of the new reality, while drawing on the geography and history of the districts concerned," stated the Honourable Jules Allard, chair of the three-member commission. Mr. Michel Doyon and Mr. Raymond Hudon are the other members of the commission responsible for readjusting the province's federal electoral boundaries.
The proposal takes into account Quebec's increase in population from 7,237,479 in 2001 to 7,903,001, as captured in the 2011 Census.
Under the Electoral Boundaries Readjustment Act, the commission's main aim in redrawing boundaries is to divide the province into electoral districts as close to the average population as reasonably possible. The population of a district should remain within 25% of the average once consideration is given to communities of interest or identity, and historical and geographic factors. A commission can depart from the 25% guideline to deal with extraordinary circumstances.
To consult the proposal online, visit www.federal-redistribution.ca; to obtain a copy, contact the commission (see coordinates below).
Residents of Quebec are invited to share their views on the proposed federal electoral map at the following public hearings:
- SAGUENAY, Courthouse, Wednesday, September 5, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
- GASPÉ, Courthouse, Tuesday, September 11, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
- MATANE, Riôtel Matane, Wednesday, September 12, 201 2, at 9:30 a.m.
- RIVIÈRE-DU-LOUP, Courthouse, Friday, September 14, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
- SHAWINIGAN, Courthouse, Tuesday, September 18, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
- THETFORD MINES, Courthouse, Wednesday, September 19, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
- LAVAL, Courthouse, Wednesday, October 17, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
- SAINT-JÉRÔME, Courthouse, Thursday, October 18, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
- MONTRÉAL, Courthouse, Friday, October 19, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
- VALLEYFIELD, Courthouse, Tuesday, October 23, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
- LONGUEUIL, Courthouse, Wednesday, October 24, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
- SAINT-JEAN, Courthouse, Thursday, October 25, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
- SHERBROOKE, Courthouse, Friday, October 26, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
- GATINEAU, Courthouse, Wednesday, October 31, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
- VAL-D'OR, Courthouse, Friday, November 2, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
- SEPT-ÎLES, Courthouse, Tuesday, November 6, 2012, at 9:30 a.m.
Everyone is invited to attend. For complete address information for public hearings, visit www.federal-redistribution.ca under Quebec - Public Hearings. Those wishing to make a presentation at a hearing are requested to send the commission notice no later than August 27.
Notices of presentation should include:
- the person's name, address and contact information
- the organization he/she represents (if any)
- the date of the public hearing he/she wishes to attend
- a short overview of the issue(s) he/she intends to address
- the official language of preference
- any accommodation needs the person may have
Written notice can be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to the address below. Alternatively, the Public Hearings Notice Form can be filled out online at www.federal-redistribution.ca under Quebec - Public Hearings.
Learn more about the redistribution of federal electoral districts at www.federal-redistribution.ca.
|Federal Electoral Boundaries Commission for Quebec
|800 de la Gauchetière Street West
|7th Floor, Suite 7350