BOSTON, MA--(Marketwire - Aug 7, 2012) - With less than a month to go until the kids head back to school, Cheapflights.com, the online leader in finding and publishing travel deals, has some great news. There's still time to get away for a family vacation without breaking the bank. The family travel experts at Cheapflights have compiled a list of Top 10 Tips for Finding Last-Minute Family Travel Deals to help you find room in your travel budget for one last summer getaway.
To score a last-minute family travel bargain, check out these top, parent-tested, tips that offer advice on where and how to get the best bang for your buck:
- Follow the economic bad news for late deals. This year -- like last year -- that means Europe. Greece has been the happy hunting ground for bargain lovers in recent months. The most popular islands are Rhodes and Crete. The Peloponnese and Samos are also offering good value this summer. Spain and Cyprus are worth a browse too, for wallet-friendly family holidays.
- Remember that package deals can offer the best value for money, although self-catering is a popular option too.
- Be flexible and open to adventure. If your budget doesn't run to a villa in Tuscany this year, perhaps a resort with loads and loads of kids' activities will allow you to laze by the pool for hours on end. Alternatively, cruises can be wonderlands for children with oodles of clubs and activities.
- You can reduce the cost of a last-minute vacation even further by playing around with flight times. The early-morning and late-night flights (midweek is always cheapest) might be unpopular with most families, but if you can cope, you can enjoy savings. Just make sure that getting from the airport to your hotel or apartment will be possible at frankly unsociable hours.
- Camping is another good idea, especially where ferry routes offer a cheaper way of getting there than pricey, high-season flights.
Rounding out the list of top savings tips for last minute family getaways are: step beyond Euroland for an even more affordable trip; arrange your vacation around a free festival; cost everything before you commit your cash; pack as lightly as you possibly can to save on baggage fees; and check out collective-buying websites such as Living Social and Groupon for fantastic family-centric deals. To read more details on these tips and Cheapflights.com's Top 10 Tips for Finding Last-Minute Family Travel Deals, visit news.cheapflights.com/top-10-tips-for-finding-last-minute-family-travel-deals.
For more tips on family travel, check out Cheapflights.com's "Bring the Kids" section of travel tips and our blog, which offers great family trip ideas and valuable advice pieces such as "How to travel with kids (and without stress)."
About Cheapflights Media
Cheapflights Media is an international media network helping over 11 million visitors a month find top travel deals. Our Cheapflights brand was launched in 1996 and pioneered the online comparison of flight deals for users. Today, users compare a wide range of deals from hundreds of partners including online travel agents, consolidators and airlines to find the very best flight deals. With a mission to be the starting point for travel, Cheapflights works to deliver the industry's best airfare bargains, expert tips and inspiration. There are currently Cheapflights sites in the U.K., U.S., Canada, Germany, Australia & New Zealand, France, Italy and Spain. For more information, visit www.cheapflights.com. Our newest brand, Momondo, is a leading travel search engine for finding comprehensive worldwide pricing and availability on airfares. Winner of several awards, the site is ideal for users on specific travel schedules. For more information, visit momondo.com.