SELAH, WA--(Marketwire - Oct 1, 2012) - Did you know October is National Apple Month? While apples are a part of many people's daily lives, they may not know much about the ever-famous fruit.
In honor of National Apple Month, which began in 1904, Tree Top, a grower-owned co-op and only major brand of apple juice from 100% USA apples, has prepared some fun facts to help educate you and your family about this timeless, healthful fruit staple:
- The crabapple, a small sour fruit resembling the familiar table apple, is the only apple native to North America.
- Apples are the third largest staple for growers in America, following oranges and grapes.
- Throughout all 50 states, more than 20 billion apples are produced each year.
- The U.S. produces 2,500 varieties of apples, and more than 7,500 apples are grown throughout the world.
- Apples account for 50 percent of the world's deciduous fruit tree production. The largest apple ever picked weighed three pounds.
Consumption and Nutrition:
- The average U.S. consumer eats an estimated 16 pounds of fresh apples per year.
- Apples are fat, sodium and cholesterol free.
- Two-thirds of the fiber and many of the antioxidants found in apples can be found in the peel.
- Apple consumption has been associated with a lower risk of coronary heart disease, cardiovascular disease and strokes.
- Apples deliver quercetin, which aids endurance by making oxygen more available to the lungs.
- 25 percent of an apple's volume is air, that's why they float!
For more than 50 years, Tree Top has shared its passion for fruit -- with a particular fondness toward apples. The co-op, which produces fruit-based products, remains true to its small town heritage of craftsmanship and quality.
About Tree Top
Since 1960, Tree Top has provided premium, quality juices; fruit based products and ingredients to consumers and most of the world's leading manufacturers. The grower-owned cooperative operates eight processing facilities in the heart of Washington's apple country, Oregon and California close to the growers' farms. With more than 1,100 growers, the co-op creates the widest array of fruit-based products and ingredients available on the market. Tree Top's passion and attention to quality and craftsmanship makes it the first choice for customers. For more information, visit www.treetop.com.