SAN DIEGO, CA--(Marketwire - Aug 23, 2012) - BrightScope (www.brightscope.com), a leading provider of independent financial information and investment research, today announced its second round list of the top St. Louis area-based companies with the highest ranked 401k plans containing more than $100 million in assets. This year BrightScope has extended the list to include the top 25 companies.
BrightScope obtains an increasing amount of its data directly from plan sponsors and record keepers, and augments these primary sources with data from publicly available sources such as the Department of Labor and the Securities and Exchange Commission. By analyzing and interpreting this data, BrightScope provides unprecedented transparency into the 401k industry.
"The 401k has become the most prominent retirement savings vehicle, which is why we created the BrightScope Rating as the industry standard to align employee and company interests and create clear, objective benchmarks for plan performance," said Dan Weeks, founder and COO of BrightScope. "The St. Louis companies on this list should be proud of the strong and dependable 401k plans they have constructed to ensure their employees have a successful and dignified retirement."
Noteworthy findings in the 2012 Top 25 St. Louis 401k Plans list include:
- All plans from the previous list appeared again on this year's list except for the Local No. 1 IBEW Pension Benefit Trust Fund due to its lower rating.
- Bryan Cave LLP holds its rank as No. 1 in this year's list while, formerly ranked No. 2, Peabody Energy Corporation fell to No. 4, and was replaced by newcomer Thompson Coburn LLP.
- Increase in Ranking: Patriot Coal Corporation jumped up 5 spots from 8th to 3rd and Ameren Corporation moved up one rank from No. 6 to No. 5 on this year's list.
- 6 of the 10 companies from the previous list all fell at least one rank, most notably: AMDOCS, Inc. fell 14 spots from No. 3 to No. 17, McCarthy Holdings, Inc. dropped 4 ranks from 7th to 11th and Arch Coal, Inc. fell 5 places from No. 9 to No. 14.
- Other notable newcomers include MEMC Electronic Materials, Inc. (No. 7), HOK Group, Inc. (No.9), Savvis, Inc. (No. 10), Energizer Holdings, Inc. (No. 18), Sigma-Aldrich, Belden Inc. (No. 21) and Corporation (No. 24)
Company - Plan Name - BrightScope Rating
1. Bryan Cave LLP - Bryan Cave LLP Retirement Plan for Partners - 86.85
2. Thompson Coburn LLP - Thompson Coburn LLP 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan - 85.21
3. Patriot Coal Corporation - Patriot Coal Corporation 401(k) Retirement Plan - 81.97
4. Peabody Energy Corporation - Peabody Investments Corp. Employee Retirement Account - 81.14
5. Ameren Corporation - Ameren Corporation Savings Investment Plan - 79.75
6. Solutia Inc. - Solutia Inc. Savings and Investment Plan - 79.42
7. MEMC Electronic Materials, Inc. - MEMC Retirement Savings Plan - 78.80
8. Stifel Financial Corp. - Stifel, Nicolaus Profit Sharing 401(k) Plan - 78.28
9. HOK Group, Inc. - HOK Group, Inc. 401(k) Profit Sharing Plan - 77.97
10. Savvis, Inc. - Savvis, Inc. 401(k) Plan - 76.69
11. McCarthy Holdings, Inc. - McCarthy Employee Stock Ownership Plan - 76.51
12. Board Of Trustees of the NECA-IBEW Pension Benefit Trust Fund - NECA-IBEW Pension Benefit Trust Fund - 75.78
13. Edward D. Jones & Co. - Edward D. Jones & Co. Profit Sharing and Deferred Compensation Plan - 75.74
14. Arch Coal, Inc. - Arch Coal, Inc. Employee Thrift Plan - 75.56
15. ESCO Technologies, Inc. - ESCO Employee Sayings Investment Plan - 75.49
16. McCarthy Holdings, Inc. - McCarthy Employee Retirement Savings Plan - 75.35
17. AMDOCS, Inc. - AMDOCS, Inc. 401(k) Plan - 75.30
18. Energizer Holdings, Inc. - Energizer Holdings, Inc. Savings Investment Plan - 74.50
19. SCOTTRADE, INC. - SCOTTRADE, INCORPORATED 401(K) PLAN - 73.55
20. Monsanto Company - Monsanto Savings and Investment Plan - 73.50
21. Belden Inc. - Belden Inc. Retirement Savings Plan - 73.44
22. Barry-Wehmiller Companies, Inc. - Barry-Wehmiller Companies 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan - 73.34
23. Bryan Cave LLP - Bryan Cave LLP Cash or Deferred Plan - 73.25
24. Sigma-Aldrich Corporation - Sigma-Aldrich 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan - 73.11
25. Bunzl USA, Inc. - Bunzl USA, Inc. Deferred Savings Plan - 72.96
BrightScope's 401k plan Rating was developed by BrightScope, Inc. with the help of leading academics and independent 401k fiduciaries. Analyzing more than 200 individual data points, the BrightScope Rating algorithm can calculate a single numerical score for each 401k plan in the country. The data points examined cover broad categories such as total plan cost, company generosity and investment menu quality.
BrightScope has rated nearly 50,000 401k plans, spanning more than 30 million workers and over $2 trillion in assets. Industry adoption of the BrightScope Rating will lead to more cost-effective plans, increased participation rates, higher employee satisfaction and better outcomes for the 60 million employees who depend on their 401k plan for retirement.
BrightScope is a financial information company that brings transparency to opaque markets through independent research and analysis. Delivered through web-based software, BrightScope data drives better decision-making for individual investors, corporate plan sponsors, asset managers, broker-dealers, and financial advisors. The BrightScope Rating™, developed in partnership with leading independent 401k fiduciaries, reviews more than 200 unique data inputs per plan and calculates a single numerical score which defines plan quality at the company level. In April 2011, the company launched BrightScope Advisor Pages™, the first comprehensive and publicly available directory of financial advisors designed to help consumers discover information and conduct due diligence on wealth management professionals. BrightScope also markets a suite of data analytics software products to Fortune 1000 companies, asset managers, broker-dealers, financial advisors, and other market participants. Public ratings for more than 46,000 retirement plans as well as rating definitions, criteria and methodologies, and information on more than 770,000 financial advisors and nearly 45,000 advisory firms are available for free at www.brightscope.com.