SOURCE: Benz Communications
SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwire - Aug 15, 2012) - Benz Communications today released the results from its Inside Benefits Communication survey, the first-ever survey to focus exclusively on the communication of employee benefits. Benz Communications is a leading HR and benefits communication strategy boutique.
The 2012 Inside Benefits Communication survey report, now available here, is based on the results of a survey of 298 benefits professionals conducted in May 2012.
Given the combined pressures of health care reform, an unsettled economy, and an unhealthy and financially unstable workforce, HR professionals are increasingly looking to benefits communication to motivate behavior change among employees and families, and help manage costs.
"This is a critical time for employee benefits, and a time of significant change and opportunity for employers. We undertook this survey to learn how HR and benefits professionals are communicating benefits in this rapidly changing and high-pressure environment. The results provide insight into what successful HR and benefits teams are doing -- and what all organizations can do to get the most value from benefits and their communication efforts to support their employees and their organizations," stated Jennifer Benz, Benz Communications' founder and CEO.
Key findings from the Inside Benefits Communication survey include the following:
- Seventy-eight percent of employers cite getting employees engaged year-round among their biggest challenges, yet less than a third (28.9%) are communicating with employees year-round.
- Despite more than half of respondents (55.6%) reporting that the effectiveness of their benefits communication efforts has improved during the last three years, nearly half (45.4%) aren't satisfied with their current communications strategy and an additional 28% are ambivalent.
- Employers' top goals include executing a successful annual enrollment (60%), increasing workers' use of preventive care (48%) and increasing employees' 401(k) savings. Fewer than a quarter (24%) report meeting these goals last year; 18.8% aren't sure.
- Fewer than a quarter (24.2%) are connecting their benefits strategy to their company's bigger business strategy; less than half (46.9%) try.
- More than half (54.6%) do not document their benefits communication strategy. And 41% state they aren't sure if their benefits communication efforts are helping them meet their goals.
- More than two-thirds (68.3%) report budgets of less than $25,000 for benefits communication; 10.1% report budgets between $25,000 and $75,000. The majority of these budgets aren't being spent strategically. For example, two-thirds (66%) report print and postage costs (one-time non-renewable expenses) as consuming most of their budget.
"Overall, the results of the Inside Benefits Communication survey reveals that companies are missing a huge opportunity to improve the success of their benefits programs and use their benefits communications to meet their larger strategic goals," Jen concluded.
In addition to these findings, the survey results shed light on every facet of benefits communication, including:
- managers' goals, measures of success and biggest challenges;
- frequency of communications and channels used;
- communication targeting and differentiation;
- use of Internet resources, social media and mobile devices;
- sources of support; and
- budget size and expenditure.
The survey report, now available here, includes analysis, commentary and tips for optimizing benefits communications.
About Benz Communications
Benz Communications is a benefits communications strategy boutique creating integrated employee benefits campaigns for employers committed to nurturing high-performing and satisfied employees. Benz Communications' clients include Fortune 500 companies and Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For. They have also created a group of innovative toolkits and products to help small and mid-size companies educate employees about health and financial benefits. Additional information about Benz Communications may be found at http://benzcommunications.com.