SOURCE: Art of Defence
February 14, 2011 08:00 ET
Open Source Distributed WAF Project Launched by art of defence at RSA
Cluster Awareness, Distributed Architecture and Central Administration Ideal for Cloud and Enterprise WAF Projects
SAN FRANCISCO, CA--(Marketwire - February 14, 2011) - Today, art of defence, the leading distributed web application firewall (dWAF) provider, launched the openWAF project -- an open source community of web application security professionals working together on the industry's first open source dWAF. art of defence is going to contribute source code of its enterprise dWAF to this project in order to give the community a good starting point. The source code will be released soon after some necessary rework on code licensed from a third party.
"By launching the openWAF project, we want to give the open source community a truly distributed WAF alternative to choose from in protecting web and cloud applications. Today, application security is the most important part in a good defense strategy for protecting online systems. With its distributed architecture, openWAF will be the first cloud-ready open source WAF solution," said Alexander Meisel, CTO and founder, art of defence.
Key openWAF Facts
- openWAF allows real multi-tenancy across any number of users and web applications per user, all with a single administration point.
- openWAF provides true cluster awareness and central administration from one, easy to understand GUI.
- openWAF's protection levels are easily tightened iteratively without risk of unwanted exposure or blocking to the application being shielded.
- openWAF's 'detection only mode' allows rule-sets to be tested but not enforced, alongside with rule-sets in 'protection mode' that enforce already proven security policies.
- Binaries are available now for Linux (Red Hat, Ubuntu), FreeBSD, Solaris, and Microsoft Windows
- For more information about openWAF, visit the project website here, www.openwaf.org
- art of defence will exhibit at the RSA Conference (booth #342), in San Francisco, Feb 15-17
art of defence, open source, openWAF, hyperguard, dWAF, WAF, web application, security, cloud
About art of defence
Founded in 2005, art of defence established its San Francisco-based North American headquarters in 2009. Focused exclusively on providing comprehensive web application security technology on any scale, art of defence's distributed web application firewall (dWAF) technology, hyperguard™, is the industry's first WAF SaaS offering available through the Amazon Web Services Partner Program. Available in many forms, hyperguard is the most flexible solution on the market today. Customers have access to the solution as a software plug-in, virtual appliance, hardware appliance or as a standalone software solution.
The company serves the financial services, eCommerce, technology, telecommunication and public sector markets. art of defence partners with leading technology providers like Amazon Web Services, GoGrid, White Hat and Microsoft. Regensburg, Germany, remains the global headquarters for the European and Asian markets in addition to North America.
For more information about art of defence, visit: www.artofdefence.com