TRURO, NOVA SCOTIA--(Marketwire - Oct. 22, 2012) - 10 active CUPE members and one CUPE retiree have been elected in this year's municipal and school board elections in Nova Scotia.
CUPE Nova Scotia President Danny Cavanagh says, "I want to thank each and every CUPE member who put their names forward as candidates. We had a total of 19 brave women and men who did so and it speaks highly of their commitment to their respective communities.
"We now have 11 people across the province who, as public employees, understands the vital role that public services play in creating strong communities and healthy local economies," says Cavanagh.
The successful CUPE candidates:
- Local 4623, Daniel Rector, District 7, Cumberland County
- Local 1867, Donnie MacDonald, District 2, County of Antigonish
- Local 281, Steven Cotter, Councillor At Large, Town of Trenton
- Local 955, Shirley McNamara, District 5, Richmond (acclaimed)
- Local 3890, (retiree) Terry Rhindress, Councillor At Large, Town of Amherst
- Local 2525, Karen MacKenzie, District 6, Colchester County
- Local 2272, Roderick Murphy, District 2, Municipality of Argyle
- Local 5047, Jackie Barkhouse, HRM, District 3, Dartmouth South-Eastern Passage
- Local 835, Linda Gregory, District 3, Municipality of Digby
- Local 2858, Gail Smith, Town of Middleton (acclaimed)
- Local 964, Murray Goodwin, District 2, Municipality of Yarmouth (acclaimed)